Youth Involvement Program
Retention of members aged 14 to18 years in Surf Life Saving seems to be a difficult task for Surf Life Saving Clubs across Victoria.
The Youth Involvement Program (YIPs)was established by the AngleseaSurf Life Saving Club in 2002. The aim of the YIPs program was to overcome the retention issue, but more importantly, YIPs was designed to engage our young members to develop life long skills and a sense of belonging to their club, their peers and the wider community.
In 2006 Surf Life Saving Lakes Entrance adopted the YIPs program. Like most new programs, it had its share of teething problems. However, with perserverance from the youth and the YIPs coordinators, support from the Lakes Entrance Surf Life Saving Club and generous donations from sponsors, notably Dwyers in Bairnsdale; have continually helped develop the YIPs program where it is today.
YIPs encourages participation in all areas of club activities such as;
- Surf Life Saving
- Skill development
- Junior, Youth and Club Activities.
There are three attaiment levels in the YIPs program; Bronze, Silver and Gold. In each level a minimum point allocation is required to successfully complete the level. The higher the level, the greater the challenge.
Please note: To join YIPs there is a requirement that the youth have to be patrolling members.
The YIPs program initially signed up 23 youth in the 2006/2007 season. In the 2009/2010 season YIPs swelled to a total of 48 members. Since the inception of the YIPs program in 2006 by Surf Life Saving Lakes Entrance, the 2009/2010 season saw the program's first group to complete their gold level; all these YIP members were involved from program's beginnings! They have developed a strong sense of club community and respect, have developed sound friendships, and aquired life long skills. They are ambassadors for our club and role models for those still remaining in the program, those yet to join, and the wider community.
For further information please contact Surf Life Saving Lakes Entrance's Youth Coordinator's.
Current YIPS Activities and Fundraising!
- Sign Up days to be held during Bronze Camp on Sunday 6th December and Sunday 12th December, 2015.
- Paddle and Fish & Chip tea – Yips members get out on the boards in the lake. Paddle up to fish & chip shop for tea. Late December, 2015.
- Two movie and pizza nights at the club – in January, 2016.
- Open Club Day for Koorie Community, January 15th, 2015 (date to be confirmed)
- Camping at Cape Conran for the Koorie Community, January 18-20th, 2016
- Shirt presentation – (date to be confirmed)
- Tin Rattle – Saturday, 23rd January, 2016 from 8am-12pm at the Myer Street lights.
- Great Aussie Pie Night – Australia Day long weekend in January, 2016.
- Surf Club Sunday Market Sign up for the YIPs Program and we’ll “see you on the beach.” Julie Chester, Caz Alkemade and Carolyn Phillips
(Secretary Kris Cordery; 03 51565607 or 0427 565607)
YIPs are proudly sponsored by: